Monday, September 14, 2015

Life Expectancy

I really think that we have shortened our life spans due to the choices we make on a daily basis. I fully understand the need for the McQuick generation but we need to take the time to take the time, if that makes sense. I look around at people going nowhere fast as they drive here and there and everywhere. I really wish people still believed in the leisurely Sunday drive, or the thrown together park picnic. Before you know it, we are too old to enjoy these things because our bodies are wasted away and all we have to show for our life is things. Sometimes it isn't money that makes life interesting, sometimes it's catching the random firefly with your child or watching a scary movie with your wife. Without making time to take time, we are shortening our lives with stress and overeating and no relaxation. Even on vacation we don't relax. We have everything planned out. What happened to spontaneity and leaving it to chance. We should take time to get lost and find ourselves. We need to learn to relax. We need to make time. As I watch my daughter get older I hope that I can teach her patience and the ability to just enjoy being not just having. Our society is so reliant on things that they have forgotten that many things are free that are taken for granted.  I want to be able to enjoy my grandchildren later in life and teach them to take the time to stop and smell the roses and enjoy the little things. We could learn alot from children. They can be mesmerized with something as simple as a butterfly on a flower. They ask questions and they are okay if we don't know the answer. We need to learn to live just as children do. I am not saying we should shun our responsibilities, but when is the last time we laughed, a deep belly aching laugh. That is what lengthens life expectancy.

1 comment:

  1. I like your line, "we need to take the time to take the time." I have been thinking more on the lines that I need to make the time to make the time....to take time. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete